Periodontics is the specialty of dentistry that studies the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions affecting the tissues that support the tooth organs or structures which replace and maintain health, function and esthetics of these structures and tissues. The main conditions dealt with are the periodontitis and gingivitis. Nowadays with the advent of implantology periodontics is also responsible for preventing and treating diseases such as periimplantitis periimplantares.
Symptoms of periodontal disease:
- Bleeding while brushing or flossing.
- Gums that will reveal the roots of teeth.
- Gums that are red, enlarged and easily mobile.
- Teeth mobile and begin to separate.
- Pus between the gum and tooth.
- Persistent bad breath.
- Changes in the position of the bite of the teeth.
- Changes in the settings of the removable prosthesis.
- Increased space between the teeth.
- Sensitivity to food or cold liquids, hot or sweet.
- However it is possible to have periodontal disease without noticing any of these signs, for
- this reason it is important to ask for a periodontal evaluation.